... A Church you can call home
On July 6, 1893 the small fur-trade post called Edmonton in Canada’s Northwest Territories was ‘invaded’ by The Salvation Army. The revival mission established by William Booth in London, England in 1865 had become a world-wide institution, arriving in Canada in 1882 and just ten years later had planted its flag from coast to coast. And on that July day the new railway linking Calgary to Edmonton, brought into the newly-created town (population 800), two ‘hallelujah lasses’ –Captain Marie Kadey and Lieutenant Hattie Scott. Renting the old McDougall Methodist Church for their ‘red-hot revival’ meetings, visiting almost every home in the town, and selling almost a hundred ‘War Crys’ a week, they soon built a thriving Corps, mainly composed of the many English immigrants pouring into the region. In the nearly 125 years since that time, The Salvation Army has been (and continues to be) a vital force in the religious and social life of this city: from its first barracks on 98th Street to its Temple of 75th Avenue, the Corps has been a church to thousands of Edmontonians; its musical groups –bands and songsters—have been much-appreciated assets at numerous public ceremonies; its outreach ministry (League of Mercy & Community Care) have been brought cheer to many seniors residences and nursing homes; its social commitment (street ministry) has provided comfort and food on the downtown streets; all of them demonstrating the kind of active Christianity William Booth first envisioned his Army of Salvation.
This website is created and hosted by Website.com's Site Builder.